Fusion: Of Angels and Demons

Friday, February 18, 2005

Of Angels and Demons

A confused alumni from my high school once posted in our group e-mail:

hi! a book called angels and demons and the da vinci code by dan brown made me think about our religion..but dont get me wrong..though more of it are facts..i still have faith but just a question kept bothering me..why is it that immaculate conception is dec 8 and then christmas is dec25? i dont have the answer since this makes it that mother mary carried our lord jesus in her womb for more than a year? so this complicates things..making the authors claims as probable facts..pls help me up..

After reading what he wrote, I honestly think he made quite some sense on what he said...
Well, that is until I read the reply from another schoolmate:

Normally, I would not answer these type of questions, but I could see in the way you asked that you are really confused and bothered. Secondly I am not an authority on theology. But I'ld like to share my 2 cents worth anyway.


"When it comes to your faith, do not over-analyze. You simply believe."
First, you'll never see Dec 8 and Dec 25 in the Bible. These dates are just arbitrary dates chosen by Church authorities. So don't put too much meaning to the dates. Christmas could have been any date of the year. It just happened Dec 25 was chosen. So is Dec 8. Just because the people who choosed those dates didn't know how to count the months for conceiving a child, doesn't mean that that you stop believing in Jesus being the child of the Virgin Mary. Do you? So what if the dates are wrong.

The books that you've mentioned make for fascinating reading because they make you think and question your beliefs. Nothing wrong with that. Books like them present facts (whether verified or not) and half-truths as absolute, irreputable truths. They'll try to confuse you with contradictions. It's like a defense lawyer who although convinced of his client guilt still presents even the smallest evidences that contradict the prosecution. At the same time the defense will also refrain and block any incriminating evidences from being presented. Through selective presentation of evidences, the defense can cast doubt in the jury's minds. And when there is doubt, you know what could happen. You have to learn to read some books just for their entertainment value. Nothing more. When it comes to your faith, do not over-analyze. You simply believe. I guess that's what FAITH is about.

I am proud of where I have gone. Of the people I meet everyday and the ideas I get from them. Through them I find answers to some of my questions... which, oftentimes, reaffirms my FAITH in HIM.

May GOD bless each and everyone of us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home